Best Practices & Security for HIPAA Compliant Direct Mail
Stay Compliant and Protect Private Health Information
HIPAA-compliant direct mail best practices to adhere to include, but are not limited to:
- Use secure technology, including encrypted software and printers, to create and send direct mail that contains PHI
- Establish a written policy for employees that clearly outlines the rules and regulations for handling private health information.
- Conduct audits to test the process, identify gaps, and optimize the workflow.
It’s important to stay compliant in your email communications as well. Ways of staying HIPAA compliant with email include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining proper member consent for email communications
- Providing clear opt-out options for members
- Establishing member authentication and verification
- Ensuring your email system is encrypted
- Crafting secure email policies and sharing those policies with staff